Thursday 23 October 2008

Dealing With Condensation

Last winter I had a major problem with condensation which was especially prominent under the bay window in the living room and the built in wardrobes in the front bedroom. I spent some time researching the causes of condensation and found that ventilation is key. The built in wardrobes were especially bad because they were located on a North facing external wall. They were also full of clothes and the when the doors were closed there was no ventilation.

Last winter I stripped the wallpaper in the built in wardrobes because it was covered in black mould and smelt musty. I bleached the walls and painted them with an anti-condensation paint. This did get rid of the smell but the walls were so cold that the anti-condensation paint didn't make any difference. When the warm air in the bedroom hit the cold wall within the wardrobe there was no stopping the water vapour from appearing.

Last week I thought to myself - "I need to do something about this condensation before winter arrives". Not knowing what the solution was I took a trip to B&Q and had a look around for anything that might have helped and there it was - 'Warmaline wall lining', basically a roll of polystyrene that you use just like wallpaper which provides an amazing insulation from the coldness of the wall. I added three layers in all just to ensure that it worked and to my amazement the walls have been consistantly warm. Not only does Warmaline insulate the wardrobe it also stops your clothes getting cold which in turn stops and damp and mould growth on the clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment