Thursday 23 October 2008

Double Glazing Salesman

I've been getting quotes for UPVC double glazing and couldn't believe one of the companies who came out to see me. The salesman initially quoted £3750 for a kitchen window and slim french door. When I told him that I had other companies coming to quote he started to reduce the quote. Every couple of minutes he would look at his calculator and come up with some reason why he could knock of a bit here and there. Eventually he got the price down to £1700 which I still wasn't going to agree to before getting more quotes. He then said that it was company policy to ring his manager on his mobile before he left. His manager wanted to speak to me so I thought fine at which point he dropped the price further to £1500 if I signed up there and then. I still said no.

Since that day I've had four other quotes ranging from £850 to £1800. I feel that this double glazing company tries these sales tactics with everyone and I imagine on many occasions it works. The fact that they tried to get £3750 at the beginning was disgusting and I expect a pushy salesman could get a vulnerable person such as the elderly to cough up the full/ridiculous amount.

2 comments:

  1. Everyone wants to save money and never to have to pay more than they have to. A lot of people want to buy double glazed windows because they are more energy efficient, can help them save money on heating and cooling bills, or because they like the way they look.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The size of the windows will also be a big part of finding double glazing prices. The bigger a window is, the more materials will be used to make it a double glazed one. Scale has to be taken into account. Examining the structure will help people find better prices online.

    ReplyDelete