Monday 27 October 2008

Installing air bricks

If you do a search on Google for information on air bricks, you'll find a lot of people have had the same problem. Since conservatories have become cheaper to erect they have started to pop up alll over the place. Many unprofessional building will install a new conservatory without considering the need for ventilation. This was my problem!

We have a conservatory on the back of our house that has a solid concrete floor. When this floor was layed it blocked two air bricks that provided ventilation to the dining room. I can only think that the builders involved didn't care or weren't aware that blocking air bricks can cause problems such as dry root and smelly voids. They could have quite simply used some draining pipes under the concrete to allow the air to travel from the air brick, under the conservatory to the outside.

I've now got the task of installing two air brick along the outside of our dining room. This isn't something I've done before so I've been looking around online for advice. Apparently installing an air brick is really easy and should only take a couple of hours as long as you have the right tools.

Points I must consider:
Will the new air bricks be high enough above the ground but below the damp proofing?
Should I go for solid or plastic air bricks?

I'll come back to this post later to let you know how I got on so watch this space

No comments:

Post a Comment